Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Letters From Iwo Jima

letters_from_iwo_jima_ver8.jpgRecently I was "convinced" to get a netflix subscription, and as there was a one-month free trial, I felt that there was no harm in trying it. Since then I have watched a number of film, most of which I have enjoyed. The most recent one I saw was Letters From Iwo Jima. This film covers the Japanese side of the battle for Iwo Jima in WWII. The film is powerful, and you cent help but feel for these soldiers, who, even though they are on the "enemy" side, are shown to be just as human as the American soldiers.

Throughout the film, many elements come together to make this stunning fiom what it is. Strong character design, a powerful soundtrack, and stunning, if a bit graphic, visuals are just the beginning in terms of what allows this film to be what it is.

Films like these are enough to make anyone second guess a war. War is somtimes necessary to defend yourself. It is only after a war that you can afford to view your enemy as human again. Even within this film, when the main character learns from a captured american soldier that american soldiers arent "savages" like he has been taught, it only further decreases his will to fight.

Yet I also believe films like this one can be important for healing, for while the war may be fought for greater purposes, I believe it is important to remember that wars are fought not by those greater forces, but by ordinary soldiers, each who has his own reason to fight, and each who has his own reason to want to return home safe.

Its not clear wether the main character ever got to see his wife again. But even though at the time he was our "enemy," this film makes you hope that he, at least, was able to return home.lettersfromiwojima-attack.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment