Wednesday, April 6, 2011

And for Dessert?

Hey everyone! I'm writing this on my way back from watching Patisserie Coin de Rue at HIFF with a few of my friends. Normally I'd have waited to write this, but I will say right now it was easily one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.

As someone who has studied writing and producing films, I will tell you now that what they pulled off is far from easy. The movie was moving, and the imagery, exquisite. Particularly the cakes.

The combination of humor and drama led to a thoroughly enjoyable experience that sent the audience on an emotional rollercoaster ride between wild laughter and tears. Even the cynical Matt  was nearly brought to tears.

As such, I do not want to spoil the film for anyone, being that I strongly  believe that such delicacies should be savored first hand. I myself will be looking for opportunities to get this film on DVD if and when it becomes

Update:

Looking at other reviews, many criticize the film for being "predictable" and "cliche." Even I found that many of my predictions about what would happen came true. That being said, that doesn't mean the movie wasn't well made. At one point, there was a collective "No!" when most of the audience appeared to realize what was inevitably coming. Even so, the film kept us on the edge of our seats, so to speak, hoping that we would be wrong. In a few minutes, we were proven right, in what was one of the saddest points in the movie.

Overall, I would consider Patisserie to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I only wish I had time to see some of the other HIFF films. If they were half as enjoyable as Patisserie was, they would still have been well worth the time.

Photos and trailer coming soon, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment